An Invitation to all Finnish open knowledge communities and networks: open source, data, design, science, standards, licensing, map, geodata, hardware, culture…
In the model of previous public #OpenDataLDN meetups in London, UK, we invite all Finnish advocates of open knowledge to our first meetup to meet one another and create a road map for open data in the region.
In the broadest sense of the word, ‘open knowledge’ means everything from genes to geodata, from literature to source code. In an age of digital communication, we believe that nations gain considerable social benefits in the fields of administration, science, culture and finance by using this knowledge together.
Finland has traditionally had a strong culture of open knowledge and sharing. This meetup aims to bring actors together from different areas of this field to share plans and aspirations. We also hope to identify new ideas for collaboration among these communities.
Participants are encouraged to prepare a short introduction on their history with open knowledge and to identify problems they wish the community to help them tackle.
Time and place:
Wednesday, November 30th 2011, 15-18
The Aalto University School of Economics, main building, room A 401 (4th floor), Runeberginkatu 14-16, Helsinki
15.00 Welcome speech
15.15 Introduction of Open Knowledge Foundation, Kat Braybrooke
15.30 Introductory round – aspirations and proposals
16.30 Wrap-up – the need for further measures
17.00 Informal brainstorming and cooperation
18.00 The event at Aalto University ends
The following communities, among others, are invited:
- Vapaa Suomi (Free Finland) http://www.vapaasuomi.fi/
- Floss Manuals http://en.flossmanuals.net/
- Wikimedia Suomi http://fi.wikimedia.org/wiki/
- Project Gutenberg in Finnish http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/languages/fi
- Sähköautot – Nyt! (eCars Now!) http://www.sahkoautot.fi/eng
- Linux.fi http://linux.fi/wiki/
- Finnish Linux User Group FLUG ry http://www.flug.fi/
- OpenStreetmap.org Finland http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Fi:Main_Page
- Creative Commons Suomi http://creativecommons.fi/
- COSS (Centre for Open Source Solutions) http://coss.fi/en/
- Vapaa koodi IRC channel
- Helsinki Hacklab http://www.hacklab.fi/
- Open access Finland http://www.finnoa.fi
This event is free of charge, but please RSVP on Meetup here so we know you are coming. Additional information about location and time can be found at this link. We hope to see you there!
4 thoughts on “The First Open Knowledge Finland Meetup 30.11.2011”
Finnish localization of FLOSS Manuals is at http://fi.flossmanuals.net.
Just a reminder. 🙂
Still pictures from the meetup:
Video collection for history writers (-: